Wish You Were HereWish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh where do I begin with this perfectly beautiful book!? It was everything I want in a novel. Diana goes on a trip alone to the Galápagos Islands, to avoid losing the money she and her boyfriend spent on the vacation of a lifetime. Finn stays home in New York just as covid hits because he is a doctor and is needed at the hospital. He thinks Diana will be out of harms way while there. The trip gets off to a rocky start, first Diana's luggage is lost, there is no wifi, cell phone connections are almost non-existent and the entire island is going into lockdown. Luckily Diana meets Abdula, her son Gabriel and her granddaughter Beatriz. They help her with food, shelter, companionship and how to navigate the island. One day she and Gabriel go snorkeling and Diana believes she is going to drown...that's where the real story begins.

This book read like non-fiction which is understandable seeing as Ms. Picoult based it on a man who got stuck in the Galápagos Islands during lock-down and of course covid being very real these days. The storyline was so heartbreaking and raw and real, while reading these pages I felt so many emotions and loved getting a doctors point of view on covid. This will definitely be one of my favourite reads of the year. I finished it days ago and it is still with me, it is one I won't soon forget, that's for sure. I highly recommend this read to everyone. All. The. Stars.

With many thanks to NetGalley, the very talented Jodi Picoult and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine Books for the giving of the ARC.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa