Boy UndergroundBoy Underground by Catherine Ryan Hyde
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh this book! Catherine Ryan Hyde never disappoints. This one is about 15 year old Steven hiding his best friend, Nick who happens to be the young man he loves (boy) in an old root cellar (underground) on his father's farm. His other friend, Olly is off in the Pacific to fight in WWII and the fourth of the friends, Suki is at an internment camp for the Japanese.

As usual Catherine Ryan Hyde writes a thought provoking story that pulls at the heartstrings. I loved these boys and felt heartsick when they were sad and I was delighted when they were happy. This book is so beautifully written and is so very emotional on many fronts. It also deals with many issues such as coming out, racism and prejudice because of social class to name a few. The romance part of this book really had me hoping that Nick and steven would end up together. You'll have to read this to find out if they do. This book is so emotional it really moved me and will stay with me for a very long time.

With many thanks to NetGalley, Catherine Ryan Hyde and Lake Union Publishing for the giving of the ARC.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa