This Is Us by Helen McGinn

This Is Us
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
.ePUB, 246 pages
Expected Publication: 14 Sept 2022
By: Boldwood Books
Amazon | Goodreads

About The Book:
Stella fell in love with Simon hard and fast. He was everything she wanted in a husband, and he seemed to feel the same way about her. More than a decade of marriage later, life is sweet. They have three much-wanted children, a successful business, and a comfortable London home. What more could Stella possibly want? But then, out of the blue, Simon is gone. Vanished. No one knows where he’s gone or why. Now Stella, with the help of her friends and family, has to pick up the pieces of her and her children’s life, all the while wondering what she missed. Was her husband who he said he was, and can she trust her own memories of their life together?

My Review:
Remember to face the sunshine

I liked this book a lot. The characters were very relatable, the type of ladies I would like to be friends with. They really had each other's backs and were so capable and independent. I love when books have strong female characters. I also liked how romance wasn't automatically on tap for Stella, her separation was handled in such a realistic way and I was so rooting for her and her children. As much as I hated what Simon did to Stella and the business what he did to those poor kids was unforgivable. 

The trip to Florence was my favourite section of the book. The food, art, wine, and architecture were described so brilliantly I felt like I was there. Italy is on my bucket list so I could have read a whole book about the trip alone. I found I even learned a little bit about wine and there were two mentioned that I really want to try now, namely Vernaccia di San Gimignano and Arneis. You could certainly tell that the author is very knowledgeable about wine.

I really appreciated the way the book ended as well. It was pretty realistic and didn't end in some shmaltzy romantic way. Kudos to the author for that! Friendship is pretty central to this book and it was written in a really beautiful way. Even though the storyline is pretty dismal I found myself smiling while reading some parts and that's exactly how life is, good parts and bad.

Disclosure:
Many thanks to NetGalley, Helen McGinn, and Boldwood Books for the giving of the ARC.

#ThisIsUs #NetGalley

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa