The Trip by Rebecca Ley

The Trip
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
.ePUB, 340 pages
Published: 11 July 2022
By: Orion
Amazon | Goodreads

About The Book:
The trip was supposed to be the perfect holiday. Six friends, reuniting after two decades, spending the weekend in a beautiful riad in Marrakesh. Only, these friends are linked by more than their university days. Together, they've kept a dark secret that changed the course of all their lives forever. And as the truth threatens to surface in the stifling Moroccan heat, they all begin to question what really happened that terrible night twenty years ago.

My Review:
This book wasn't what I was expecting at all, and I liked that about it. This was a study of long-term friendships and how the secrets of our younger selves affect us later in life. It is told in two timelines and I enjoyed getting to know the characters when they were at university. There is an air of mystery as the friends meet for a weekend away, both old news and new.

I didn't like these characters very much but that didn't take away my enjoyment of the book at all. The whole time I was reading this I kept thinking "with friends like these who needs enemies?" At first, I thought their behaviour was because they were young but none of them really outgrew their thoughtlessness. I couldn't stop reading, it was like a car crash you slow down to look at.

I loved the Moroccan setting. Ley paints a portrait of Marrakesh with her words so vividly. The food, weather, and textiles she describes were easily visualized in my imagination. The parts with Star on the roof in Sydney were tense and claustrophobic. 

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy a good domestic drama that sucks you in. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the wonderful cover, it is so beautiful and really fits with the story inside.

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa