Always the First to Die by R.J. Jacobs

Always the First to Die
⭐️⭐️⭐️💫
.ePUB, 250 pages
Expected Publication: 14 Sept 2022
By: Sourcebooks Landmark
Amazon | Goodreads

About The Book:
After her husband's death, Lexi has refused to return to the Pinecrest Estate on the Florida Keys, too many hard memories on that strip of land. Memories of meeting her husband on the set of an iconic horror movie. Of being cast as an extra, of watching herself get killed on screen. And of scoffing at the rumors of the Pinecrest Estate "curse," until she witnessed a cast member die that very summer. But when her daughter sneaks away to visit her grandfather, legendary horror movie director Rick Plummer, Lexi is forced to face her past. That's when a Category Four hurricane changes course, and hits the southern coast. Unable to get through to her daughter, Lexi drives to the Keys in the wake of the storm. What she finds is an island without cell service, without power, and with limited police presence. A desolate bit of land, with only a few remaining behind: the horror director, the starlet once cast as the final girl, the young teenager searching for clues of her father, the mother determined to get off the island, and...the person picking them off one-by-one. Soon enough Lexi's life begins to resemble Rick's most famous horror film, and she must risk her life to save her daughter before someone, or something, destroys them all. 

My Review:
A few years ago I read and really enjoyed And Then You Were Gone so when I saw Mr. Jacobs had a new thriller available on NetGalley I jumped at the chance to read it. This one is a love letter to horror movies and even though it isn't one of my favourite genres I was really into this book.

This was pretty fast-paced and the setting was plenty creepy. The format of the book is my favourite with a single-person perspective and two different timelines. As is usual for me I preferred the before timeline as we really get to know what the back story is and I like seeing what led to where the characters are now.

This one will keep you focused on flipping the pages wanting to find out what the heck is really going on at Pinecrest Estate. It is a short book and I managed to read it in a single sitting. R.J. Jacobs always manages to put all my favourite elements in his books...mystery, adventure, and strong characters. I also like that there were some surprising twists that I didn't see coming because there were a lot of red herrings along the way. This was an entertaining book that was also a lot of fun. 

Disclosure:
Many thanks to NetGalley, Sourcebooks Landmark, and R.J. Jacobs for the giving of the ARC.

#NetGalley

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa