The Girl Who Wasn't There by Penny Joelson

The Girl Who Wasn't There
☆☆1/2
.ePUB, 184 pages
Expected publication: November 3rd 2020 by Sourcebooks Fire

About the Book:
Nothing ever happens on Kasia's street. And Kasia would know, because her illness makes her spend days stuck at home, watching the world from her bedroom window. So when she sees what looks like a kidnapping, she's not sure whether she can believe her own eyes...There was a girl in the window across the street—did she see something too? But when Kasia goes to find her she is told the most shocking thing of all. There is no girl.


My Review:
This is the first Penny Joelson book I have read and I have to say I'm sorry that I have to give this book the dreaded "it was okay" 2.5 stars. It was a quick read, at less than 200 hundred pages, and only took me a few hours....but I really couldn't get into the book, usually when there are short chapters I dive right in and am totally captivated but it wasn't the case here. In my humble opinion it is a very sluggish read, with very little substance. I really didn't care about any of the characters or the big mystery.

The book deals with some serious themes, but overall does seem as though it's aimed at young readers and I did feel the dialogue was a bit labored and not really how teenagers talk. I had to keep reminding myself that this is aimed young adults. It's well written for the teen aged set so for that reason I will round it up to three stars. 

Disclousure:
Thank you NetGalley, Penny Joelson and Sourcebooks Fire for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman