Silent Night by Nell Pattison

Silent Night
☆☆☆☆
.PDF, 303 pages
Expected publication: November 12th 2020 by Avon Books UK/Harper 360

About the Book:
What happened while they were sleeping? A school for the deaf takes an overnight trip to the snowy woods. Five teenagers go to sleep, but only four wake up. Leon is missing, and a teacher’s body is found in the forest. Sign language interpreter Paige Northwood is brought in to help with interrogations. Everyone at the school has a motive for murder – but they all have an alibi. As Paige becomes increasingly involved, she suspects there’s something sinister going on. With the clock ticking to find Leon, only one thing is certain: the killer is among them, and ready to strike again.


My Review:
This is my second book by Nell Pattison. I love the way she writes, her stories are so descriptive. I also appreciate that she includes deaf and hard of hearing characters in her books. I am deaf myself and it is so refreshing to read about people who are like me. Sign language interpreter Paige Northwood was in the first book, The Silent House, as well but this is a complete stand alone.

I enjoyed getting to know each of the characters along with the backstory as I tried to guess the identity of the murderer, paying attention to all the clues along the way. This alone made the book difficult to put down and drew me right into the story.  The author reveals just enough information about each character to make you wonder about their true motivations and their reasons for coming to the sleep away. The story was, however, an eerie, tension-filled and suspenseful story that was fully immersive as we put ourselves in the shoes of everyone involved. It wasn’t at all graphic or gory though — just a fun though unsettling whodunit.

So I absolutely loved this book. I mean, how can you not love a murder mystery that takes place in the woods in the midst of a storm? I’m so glad that I went into this knowing very little about it and there were plenty of twists and surprises to keep me turning the page. The author does an excellent job at throwing you off track, and I was unable to correctly guess who the killer was. Which is good — I hate when I guess the ending when I’m only part way through a story. All in all a clever, atmospheric and fun Whodunit with vivid, relatable characters.

Disclousure:
Thank you NetGalley, Nell Pattison Harper 360 and Avon Books UK for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#SilentNight #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman