An Unusual Boy by Fiona Higgins

An Unusual Boy
☆☆☆
.ePUB, 259 pages
Expected publication: October 20th 2020 by Boldwood Books

About the Book:
Meet Jackson - a very unusual boy in a world that prefers 'normal'...Julia Curtis is a busy mother of three, with a husband often away for work, an ever-present mother-in-law, a career, and a house that needs doing up. Her fourteen-year-old daughter, Milla, has fallen in love for the first time, and her youngest, Ruby, is a nine-year-old fashionista who can out-negotiate anyone. But Julia’s eleven-year-old son, Jackson, is different. Different to his sisters. Different to his classmates. In fact, Jackson is different from everyone. And bringing up a child who is different isn’t always easy. Then, one Monday morning, Jackson follows his new friend Digby into the school toilets. What happens inside changes everything; not only for Jackson, but for every member of his family. Julia faces the fight of her life to save her unusual boy from a world set up for ‘normal’. An extraordinary boy. The mother who loves him. The fight of their lives.

My Review:
How have I never heard of Fiona Higgins before!? Such a brilliant storyteller. This story tore my heart out and stomped all over it. Such an emotional story. It is told from two points of view Jackson and his mother, Jules. This was a fantastic read. Not necessarily the subject matter but the writing and storyline itself. I found myself still reading till the middle of the night. This book made me appreciate how good I had it with my boys.

As a mother I could feel the panic, pain, sadness, etc that Julia was going through. It was emotionally taxing to read, but I could not put the book down. It is a very well written story and I was desperate to get to the end, while at the same time not wanting to leave Jackson, Jules and their story behind. I couldn't stop reading this this one...that's a sign of a great book. Highly recommend. All the stars.

Disclousure:
Thank you NetGalley, Fiona Higgins and Boldwood Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#AnUnusualBoy #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The One That Got Away by Charlotte Rixon