A Mother Like You by Ruby Speechley

A Mother Like You
☆☆☆1/2
.ePUB, 260 pages
Expected publication: November 4th 2020 by Hera Books

About the Book:
Kate Marshall lives an enviable life. Married to handsome, charming, James, owner of a successful company, she seems to have it all. But falling pregnant at 45 was never part of the plan. Especially as Kate’s hiding a devastating secret – one that she’s been running from for twenty years. So when ex-boyfriend Paul comes back into her life, threatening to expose the truth about what Kate did, the clock is ticking. Can she keep her secrets and finally be the mother she always dreamed of – or will her past lies destroy her perfect life?

My Review:
This book had me invested from the first chapter. The psychological aspect was what I call anxiety inducing, kept me wanting more and had me turning pages. I just about suspected every character of lying at some point and enjoyed the unreliable narrator theme and I loved the surprises along the way. 

This is a plot driven story and it worked for me in that it kept me wondering throughout the entire book. That's what I want in this type of story. The characters were relatable and human, making mistakes and being flawed. The main character, Kate's, secrets were palpable but I don't think her fear was evident enough but perhaps that was misdirection on the author's part. Overall a solid read. When the secret was revealed I berated myself for not figuring it out but I that is a demonstration of the author's storytelling talent.

There is a lot going on in this story. Kate is pregnant at forty-five, a man from her past is back in her life and she is hiding something from her husband, her mother has secrets as well and a stranger is sending her threatening text messages. These sub-plots thrown into the mix weakened the main story-line...so for that reason I round down instead of up.

Disclousure:
Thank you NetGalley, Ruby Speechley and Hera Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#AMotherLikeYou #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman