So Long, Chester Wheeler by Catherine Ryan Hyde

So Long, Chester Wheeler
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
.PDF, 235 pages
Expected Publication: 06 Dec 2022
By: Lake Union Publishing

About The Book:
Lewis Madigan is young, gay, out of work, and getting antsy when he’s roped into providing end-of-life care for his insufferable homophobic neighbor, Chester Wheeler. Lewis doesn’t need the aggravation, just the money. The only requirements: run errands, be on call, and put up with a miserable old churl no one else in Buffalo can bear. After exchanging barbs, bickering, baiting, and pushing buttons, Chester hits Lewis with the big ask. Lewis can’t say no to a dying wish: drive Chester to Arizona in his rust bucket of a Winnebago to see his ex-wife for the first time in thirty-two years—for the last time. One week, two thousand miles. To Lewis, it becomes an illuminating journey into the life and secrets of a vulnerable man he’s finally beginning to understand. A neighbor, a stranger, and a surprising new friend whose closure on a conflicted past is also just beginning.

My Review:
Catherine Ryan Hyde is an automatic want-to-read author for me. I have loved every single book she has written and is one of my all-time favourite writers. I don't know how she does it but her storytelling just takes me away and I have been reading her books for over twenty years. I loved Lewis and Chester's banter so much in this one, they are polar opposites but Catherine Ryan Hyde made it work so well. I loved that they learned from each other and grew to be better humans because of it. They also formed a special bond of friendship that was the last thing that I was expecting. Even though Chester is very ill and a miserable old bastard I found myself laughing while reading and the book is filled with such joy at times. I have to mention how much I loved the epilogue as Estelle and Lewis together was a perfect ending to an incredible story. Catherine Ryan Hyde is such a wonderful storyteller and she was able to put some life lessons throughout this book but she does it with a subtle hand. I will remember these characters for a long time. All. The. Stars.

Just a side note: Catherine Ryan Hyde is from Buffalo and I am from Toronto so I loved that Lewis and Chester live in Buffalo as I recognized the city and surrounding area, that was a nice bonus for me.

Disclosure:
Many thanks to NetGalley, Catherine Ryan Hyde, and Lake Union Publishing for the giving of the ARC.

#SoLongChesterWheeler #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman