Happyish by Jeanette Escudero

Happyish
🌟🌟🌟🌟
.PDF, 222 pages
Expected Publication: 20 Sep 2022
By: Lake Union Publishing

About The Book:
It was supposed to be a good day. On the one-year anniversary of her divorce, Alex Martinez is getting closure—and margaritas with her two best friends. But just before the celebratory meetup, Alex is clobbered by life once again. Damping the cheer is the diagnosis of a brain tumor she can’t pronounce, a procedure she’d rather postpone, and the prospect of what to say to an already heartbroken mother. Not that Alex plans to tell her anything anytime soon. Going from blissful to blindsided in one afternoon, Alex has other plans: to be impulsive and embark on an adventure she’ll never forget. Expected destinations: the Grand Canyon, Puerto Rico, and zip-lining through Costa Rica. Unexpected companion: a hiker named David who’s found a woman after his own heart. But no matter how enriching the journey, how long can Alex keep running? It’s time to accept past griefs, reconnect with her mother, and find her way back to happy. For Alex, whatever the future holds, maybe everything she really needs to face is right where she left it.

My Review:
This book was really sad at first and I really felt for Alex as I too am divorced. The way she was written and how she handled it felt so very real and I felt so very bad for her, but she held on and toughed it out and celebrated her divorceversary. (I loved that idea) Alex is a very strong woman who was raised by two very strong women. 

There are also some very joyful moments in the book and  I loved the spectrum of emotions I felt reading it. The traveling parts were so much fun and I loved being with Alex on her adventure to do her deceased sister's travel wish list. I really appreciate it when I book can make me feel like I am on a journey with a character and it takes me on location. 

There are some heavy issues dealt with in this story and they were so relatable, especially the old boy's network at Alex's place of employment. Alex also has to learn to let people take care of her for a change as she learns to take care of herself. I loved watching her evolve. 

At times hilarious and heartbreaking in equal measure, Happyish has the perfect title for a book that is an emotional punch to the heart.

Disclosure:
With many thanks to NetGalley, Jeanette Escudero and Lake Union Publishing for the giving of the ARC.

#Happyish #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa