The Housemaid by Sarah A. Denzil

The Housemaid
☆☆☆
.ePUB, 276 pages
Expected Publication: July 20th 2021 ARC provided by Victory Editing NetGalley Co-op

About the Book:
Housemaid wanted. Skills required: Discretion, and the willingness to go the extra mile. It seems like the perfect job. Great wages, accommodation provided, and all located within the walls of Highwood Hall, a stunning stately home owned by the Howard family. Not many little girls dream of becoming a maid, but this is an opportunity for me to get back on my feet. And for me to revisit my past...But I soon realise I've made a mistake. The strict housekeeper, Mrs Huxley, watches my every move, emerging from the shadows when least expected. Lord Howard's son, Alex, takes an interest in me, and as a former addict, I find myself drawn to him because I know he's bad for me. There's a general atmosphere of unease at Highwood Hall, from the narrow tunnels laced throughout the sprawling house, to the abandoned north wing, rumoured to be haunted. It's easy to imagine the secrets hidden within these walls, like the secrets I hold close. On my first day, I receive a mysterious package. I open up the pretty gift box to find a miniature doll version of me trapped inside a dollhouse. In this scene I'm dead, lying in a pool of red paint at the bottom of the perfectly recreated staircase. Someone sent this threatening diorama to me, but who even knows I work at the hall? And what do they want? I know only one truth: my perfect job is turning into my perfect nightmare.

My Review:
We shouldn’t be known as maids; we should be called ghosts because that’s what we are.
 
This wasn't a bad book, it was intelligently written and very suspenseful. It was also very atmospheric and at times I thought I was reading a Victorian novel, until someone checked their cell phone. I was unimpressed by the big reveal though as I had it figured out almost right from the start. It didn't completely ruin the book for me as Ms Denzil is a great writer. I have loved many of her other books and would definitely giver her another go.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Sarah A. Denzil and Victory Editing NetGalley Co-op for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheHousemaid #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa