Deny Me by Karen Cole

Deny Me
☆☆
.ePUB, 244 pages
Expected publication: July 27th 2021 by Mobius Books

About the Book:
Thirty-two-year- old Jessica is newly divorced and has returned home to live with her parents while she puts the pieces of her life back together. But Jessica isn’t the only one with problems, as her mother Jean, has recently been diagnosed with dementia. Shortly after Jessica’s arrival, one of the neighbors falls to her death, in what appears to be a terrible accident. However, Jean claims that the woman was murdered by her husband and that she witnessed the whole thing. With Jean’s memory rapidly deteriorating, her family dismiss her story, believing Jean is confused. But when Jessica learns that the couple next door’s marriage may have been in trouble, she begins to wonder if her mother did see something after all. Jessica is determined to discover the truth, but soon uncovers much more than she bargained for.

My Review:
This is my third book by Karen Cole and it was such a disappointment. I found the main character utterly pathetic, you can have mental health issues and still be strong, kind, smart and loveable. I really hate when authors give their characters mental health issues without any real research about it. It did not read true to me at all. It seems common now a days to portray mental health sufferers with feelings of "is this real or am I going crazy again?" Add in all the boozing she does and you have a the typical "crazy person" storyline.

As I said before this is my third book by this author and I loved the first two. She knows how to write well thought out family psychological thrillers. Even authors are allowed to have a miss every now and again. I will still give her other books a try. I suggest to new readers that they give these other two a go...Deceive Me and/or Deliver Me

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Karen Cole and Mobius Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#DenyMe #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The One That Got Away by Charlotte Rixon