We Are the Light by Matthew Quick

We Are the Light
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
.ePUB, 237 pages
Expected Publication: 01 Nov 2022
By: Simon & Schuster Canada, Avid Reader Press

About The Book:
Lucas Goodgame lives in Majestic, Pennsylvania, a quaint suburb that has been torn apart by a recent tragedy. Everyone in Majestic sees Lucas as a hero—everyone, that is, except Lucas himself. Insisting that his deceased wife, Darcy, visits him every night in the form of an angel, Lucas spends his time writing letters to his former Jungian analyst, Karl. It is only when Eli, an eighteen-year-old young man whom the community has ostracized, begins camping out in Lucas’s backyard that an unlikely alliance takes shape and the two embark on a journey to heal their neighbors and, most important, themselves.

My Review:
This book's blurb says it is a humorous, soul-baring story and I couldn't agree more. As usual Quick deals with mental health themes with humour and wit but also with sensitivity while not holding any punches, I admire this. I loved that the emotionally sensitive main character was male, it is rare to see that in literature so it was a refreshing change of pace for me. The epistolary format was a big hit with me as it gave me a first-hand look into Lucas' mind, he was a well-rounded fully fleshed-out character. I felt so much for Eli as well, what a horrible time he is going through, yet so lucky to have found Lucas. My emotions were all over the place while reading this and I so enjoy it when a novel can do that. I enjoyed this book because it felt so real and was all-consuming and I viscerally felt everything the characters were going through, it was that emotive. Quick is one of the best authors out there when it comes to writing about the human condition. All. The. Stars.

Disclosure:
Many thanks to NetGalley, Simon & Schuster Canada, Avid Reader Press, and Matthew Quick for the giving of the ARC.

#WeAretheLight #NetGalley

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa