Nightcrawling by Leila Mottley

Nightcrawling
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
.ePUB, 270 pages
Published: 07 June 2022
By: McClelland & Stewart

About The Book:
Kiara Johnson and her brother Marcus are barely scraping by in a squalid East Oakland apartment complex optimistically called the Royal-Hi. Both have dropped out of high school, their family fractured by death and prison. But while Marcus clings to his dream of rap stardom, Kiara hunts for work to pay their rent—which has more than doubled—and to keep the 9-year-old boy next door, abandoned by his mother, safe and fed. One night, what begins as a drunken misunderstanding with a stranger turns into the job Kiara never imagined wanting but now desperately needs: nightcrawling. And her world breaks open even further when her name surfaces in an investigation that exposes her as a key witness in a massive scandal within the Oakland police department.

My Review:
This book was so crushingly heartbreaking and so difficult to read, especially since it is based on true events. The author was just seventeen when she wrote it but I in no way could tell it was written by someone so young, in fact, it was quite the opposite. The prose of this novel will floor you, it is so lyrical and poetic, even if the subject matter is so dark. This is not a book for the weak of heart or stomach, but if triggers don't get to you and you can handle a gritty tale I highly recommend this one for the sheer brilliance of the writing alone. I know this is a short review but I don't think I can add anything or do any justice to this book. I was amazed.

My Goodreads friend, Kelly, turned me onto this book. Her review can be found HERE she's much better at this reviewing stuff than I am so check it out...thanks, Kelly!

Many thanks to my local library for my copy of the book. The two weeks I waited for the book sure were worth it! Thanks, Toronto Public Library!

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa