Beartown (Beartown #1) by Fredrik Backman

Beartown (Beartown, #1)
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
.ePUB, 400 pages
Publication Date: April 25th 2017
By: Simon & Schuster

About The Book:
People say Beartown is finished. A tiny community nestled deep in the forest, it is slowly losing ground to the ever encroaching trees. But down by the lake stands an old ice rink, built generations ago by the working men who founded this town. And in that ice rink is the reason people in Beartown believe tomorrow will be better than today. Their junior ice hockey team is about to compete in the national semi-finals, and they actually have a shot at winning. All the hopes and dreams of this place now rest on the shoulders of a handful of teenage boys. Being responsible for the hopes of an entire town is a heavy burden, and the semi-final match is the catalyst for a violent act that will leave a young girl traumatized and a town in turmoil. Accusations are made and, like ripples on a pond, they travel through all of Beartown, leaving no resident unaffected.

My Review:
Having loved A Man Called Ove and really enjoyed And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer I was curious to see what else Fredrik Backman had up his sleeve. As someone from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (The hockey capital of the world) I was really excited to see this title released. Every single one of my siblings played hockey as kids, my sister and I included, it's in our blood. So, in all honesty, I wanted to read this book because it is about a hockey-obsessed town, and it is, but it is also so much more than that. I don't even know where to start with this review. How about this...the book was bloody brilliant and I read all 400 pages in a couple of sittings. Backman weaves a tale so incredible you will find yourself sucked into the politics of this small town, its residents, and its team. There are many issues to deal with in this story and I am not going to give anything away but Backman does it perfectly. I loved how the story was written and how much I started to know and care about Beartown and its people. As much as I enjoyed the author's other works so far this is one of his best, it was just so lyrical, literally like poetry. As beautifully as it is written you really get to see the nitty-gritty parts of human nature and mob mentality. I cannot wait to see what books two and three have in store and what happens in Hed. All. The. Stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman