The Shortest Day by Colm Tóibín

The Shortest Day
☆☆☆1/2
.PDF, 39 pages
Expected publication: November 3rd 2020 by Amazon Original Stories

About the Book:
During the winter solstice, on the shortest day and longest night of the year, the ancient burial chamber at Newgrange is empowered. Its mystifying source is a haunting tale told by locals. Professor O’Kelly believes an archaeologist’s job is to make known only what can be proved. He is undeterred by ghost stories, idle speculation, and caution. Much to the chagrin of the living souls in County Meath. As well as those entombed in the sacred darkness of Newgrange itself. They’re determined to protect the secret of the light, guarded for more than five thousand years. And they know O’Kelly is coming for it.


My Review:
Once again I am stepping out of the box with something I wouldn't normally read. I am so glad I did as Colm Tóibín has written yet another beautiful story filled with wonderful prose. Even though it takes place before Christmas, I read it Halloween night and the fact it has ghosts made it the perfect time to enjoy this. I would have given this more stars had it not been for the ending.

Disclousure:
Thank you NetGalley, Colm Tóibín and Amazon Original Stories for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheShortestDay #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa