A Lie Someone Told You About Yourself by Peter Ho Davies

A Lie Someone Told You About Yourself
☆☆☆
.ePUB, 121 pages
Expected publication: January 5th 2021 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

About the Book:
A Lie Someone Told You About Yourself traces the complex consequences of one of the most personal yet public, intimate yet political experiences a family can have: to have a child, and conversely, the decision not to have a child. A first pregnancy is interrupted by test results at once catastrophic and uncertain. A second pregnancy ends in a fraught birth, a beloved child, the purgatory of further tests—and questions that reverberate down the years.

When does sorrow turn to shame?
When does love become labor?
When does chance become choice?
When does a diagnosis become destiny?
And when does fact become fiction?

This spare, graceful narrative chronicles the flux of parenthood, marriage, and the day-to-day practice of loving someone. As challenging as it is vulnerable, as furious as it is tender, as touching as it is darkly comic, Peter Ho Davies's new novel is an unprecedented depiction of fatherhood.


My Review:
An outstanding book that captured my attention from the start. A heartwarming story that reminds us of the special family bonds we carry and reminds us that life is full of good and bad surprises. Books about abortion and parenthood aren't new but I found it refreshing to get it from the father's point of view. And even though the family remains nameless I became so attached to the characters that I hated to see it end. 

The story is so well written, heart wrenching and full of surprises, I didn't want to put it down. The characters are real and raw and flawed yet still lovable and I felt like I was living their lives along with them. Even though the subject matter was tough I found myself laughing at some parts. What an excellent, thought provoking book...I look forward to reading more from Peter Ho Davies in the future.

Disclousure:
Thank you NetGalley, Peter Ho Davies and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#ALieSomeoneToldYouAboutYourself #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa