The Jake Ryan Complex by Bethany Crandell

The Jake Ryan Complex
☆☆☆☆
.PDF, 217 pages
Expected publication: January 26th 2021 by Montlake

About the Book:
A teenage movie crush set her standards high. Now a real man needs to meet them. Fast. Chicago obstetrician Mackenzie “Mac” Huntress set her standards for men very high early on. It’s been over twenty years since she fell for a fictional movie heartthrob, and Mac’s content to wait for the real version to come along; it’s her nagging mother who’s not happy with the timeline. So Mac falls back on her lifelong Mom-surviving skill—lying. The latest fabrication: a handsome neurologist named Michael. Pity he’s too busy to meet her friends and family. Problem solved. But when Mac’s little sister announces her engagement, Mac is expected to introduce her elusive “plus-one” at the wedding, leaving her with only forty days to find a flesh-and-blood stand-in for the imaginary Michael. And the only potential Mr. Right comes with a big hitch. However, it turns out Mac’s not the only one bringing secrets to the wedding. With expectations high, and shocking truths to be revealed, Mac’s left to find her own happy ending, which isn’t as simple as in the movies…though it’s definitely worth waiting for.

My Review:
Being a woman of a certain age I remember Sixteen Candles (and Jake Ryan) fondly. Although I didn't see the movie twenty years ago like our leading lady Mackenzie...it was more like thirty-five for me. As soon as I saw the title (and cover) of this book I knew I wanted to read it. Oh to be Molly Ringwald in a John Hughes film. *sigh*


“Aaaaaaagh! It feels like a watermelon’s coming out of my butt!”

And so starts our story of Chicago obstetrician Mackenzie Huntress. and as you can tell it was a pretty funny start and stayed so throughout. I really needed this book right now, too many lock-downs and too many thrillers can make a girl blue.

This was was a cute and fun read. I loved the idea of the book and was drawn into Mac’s story instantly and loved how she was an obstetrician!. I enjoyed watching Mac live out her own romantic comedy and couldn’t wait to see how it would all unfold. 

His unwavering love for her is so obvious, so real, I can’t help but wish I had it for myself.

I really enjoyed all the almost moments and the tension between the characters. This story was easy to read and light on the drama. In the end, I was hooked on Mac and couldn’t help but root for her to find her happily ever after.

Disclousure:
Thank you NetGalley, Bethany Crandell and Montlake for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheJakeRyanComplex #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa