Spare Change (Wyattsville, #1)Spare Change by Bette Lee Crosby

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Bette Lee Crosby is a wonderful storyteller, she writes in the vein of Fannie Flagg. Spare Change is the first of five in the Wyattsville series. This book is a real page turner that leaves you with lots to think about. Ms. Crosby takes on the fascinating issues of gossip, death, murder and what it really means to be a community and a family. I loved all the characters in this book, good and bad. I enjoyed reading and learning about the south. There's nothing more interesting than reading about small town people who are looking for where they all fit in. I have already downloaded the other four books!

Jubilee's Journey (Wyattsville, #2)Jubilee's Journey by Bette Lee Crosby

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


4.5 Stars

Another great read from Bette Lee Crosby. I am new to this writer and the Wyattsville series. Ms. Crosby is fast becoming a favourite author. Although vastly different from what I normally read this story still involves what I love about books, mystery and southern charm, which appears to be BLC's specialty. A story of tragedy and death and different ways people cope with it. Anger at injustice of what life can throw you and forgiveness and faith are covered in the story written through the eyes of a child dealing with a very serious subject.

Passing through Perfect (Wyattsville, #3)Passing through Perfect by Bette Lee Crosby

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

But in time such anger wearies a person. It weighs on them like a heavy coat, worn threadbare and without warmth. After a while the wearing of it becomes a burden, forgotten.


This is the third installment of the Wyattsville series and so far the one I have enjoyed the most. What made me love the book was its tone, style, and surprises. The tone was warm and inviting; the style was deceptively light - I thought at first I might not enjoy the book as much, because it seemed too light as in superficial. But the more I read and got involved, the more I enjoyed the words of wisdom tucked like gems in among the humor and the characters' thoughts and actions made me laugh but also made me think.

This book isn't a piece of fluff; it's got depth. And surprises - quirky little twists of fate that keep the reader well ensnared in the story. Passing through Perfect is a thoughtful, well-balanced story about life, its value, what's beyond, and about the fun and intrigue of a good mystery. I loved the book and would recommend it to anyone wanting an enjoyable, satisfying read.

The Regrets of Cyrus Dodd (Wyattsville, #4)The Regrets of Cyrus Dodd by Bette Lee Crosby

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
You might think that once a person understands the heartache a regret brings they’d be careful about adding more of them, but that’s not possible. The problem is you never know exactly what it is you’re going to regret until it’s too late to change what you’ve already done.


I love Bette Lee Crosby's writing and I completely get her humour and the way she highlights that ordinary people have the potential to make people laugh and also the fact that none of us is ordinary and everyone is extraordinary. I also love the way she always adds that touch of sadness, that sting that makes the story that much more memorable because in engages all our emotions.
I found Ruth so warm and Cyrus such a strong and caring husband, but they needed each other and were better people because of it. I can't wait to see what book five has in store for me.

Beyond the Carousel (Wyattsville, #5)Beyond the Carousel by Bette Lee Crosby

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



If I can spend the rest of my days knowing I have a place to sleep, food to eat and friends to share the day, I’ll be a happy man. You can’t ask more of life than that.


I am so sad to be at the end of this series, all of these books were at least a four star read. I love the simplicity of them, the realness. There is so much happiness but hard times as well. Bette Lee Crosby is a superb writer and I thoroughly enjoy her books.

Like all of Bette's other novels, Beyond the Carousel transports readers to a bygone era filled with small towns, eccentric characters, and life lessons wrapped up in an engrossing read. This book is filled with lovable characters, exuding strength and small town charm . Another hit and a must read for Ms. Crosby's fans.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman