The Woman at 46 Heath Street by Lesley Sanderson


☆☆
Kindle Edition, 262 pages
Expected publication: March 28th 2019 by Bookouture
About the Book:
The last letter is addressed to me. No stamp, swirly handwriting in black ink. I pull out a piece of paper, stiffening when I read the message. Hands trembling, the note slides to the floor. Your husband is having an affair. Six words written in neat block letters. Six words slipped through her letterbox, destroying her marriage, exposing Ella’s perfect life as perfect lies. But Ella has a plan: Alice is the answer to her problems. A lodger, to help keep her afloat, a friend, to keep the loneliness at bay. Only Alice has her own reasons for wanting to live at 46 Heath Street.


Oh my, it took me three days to slog thru this bore-fest. It is a short book at 262 pages, and I read quite fast, but I was looking for anything to do other than read this book...even the dishes. It's another book that failed to live up to the hype of 'a twisty and absolutely gripping psychological thriller'. (Which it says right on the cover) I gave it two stars because I did enjoy Nancy's diary entries and oh how I wish the whole book was based on that.

The writing is not terrible, and the general idea is good, but the execution was a big fail. The characters are not well developed and I felt nothing for them. I would describe the women in this book as meek and weak and I wanted to kick start them with a punch to the throat.

We've all read this type of book and there are no surprises here. It's your typical psychological thriller, where the main character is docile and you scoff at the unrealistic situations that keep occurring. I found all of the characters one-dimensional.

This one just didn't do it for me. Way too repetitive and the ceaseless, constant whining of the protagonist just got on my last nerve. A disappointing read.

Thank you NetGalley, Bookouture and Lesley Sanderson for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheWomanAt46heathStreet #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa