I'll Be Watching You by Courtney Evan Tate


☆☆☆1/2
ebook, 400 pages
Expected publication: March 26th 2019 by MIRA
About the Book:
In an unthinkable flash, Emmy Fisher’s fifteen-year-old daughter, Leah, seemingly drowns close to shore one summer night—at least that is what the police report says. In deep grief, Emmy needs time and courage before she can enter Leah’s bedroom. But when she does, she finds something at first bewildering, then unspeakable, as she begins to understand the full implications. She uncovers evidence that Leah had been secretly involved with someone, someone perhaps older, someone with dark appetites. Bit by bit, the last few months of Leah’s life unfold in a terrifying way that Emmy can hardly imagine. All she knows is that she has to find the person who took her sweet daughter’s innocence. No matter the cost. The truth will set her free. Or bury her.


A missing child is a common premise in a lot of thriller books, and I've read a lot of them. Here we have a fifteen year old girl who simply vanished while in the water. This is where things get very interesting. I'll Be Watching You kept me turning the pages until the story's conclusion, with enough twists and turns to separate the book from other thrillers with a similar lost child theme. Though I found the protagonist’s poor judgement frustrating at times, she redeemed herself through her character growth and brought the novel to a satisfying conclusion. Dark, compelling and suspenseful, jumping from past to present, but in a good way that enhances the story and sheds light on the characters.

I'll Be Watching You is an engaging book, one that I devoured in one sitting, as I found it impossible to put down. I was torn between wanting to know about Leah's secrets and hoping Emmy's investigation wouldn't uncover anything too painful for a mother to find out. I found the book to be fast paced, with a great plot and story-line. The author was able to keep my attention, and has great writing skills. I have become tired of missing children books, but this was different as I found myself tearing though the pages to see what happened to Leah.

The book is full of suspense with a lot of twists and I think anyone who enjoys thrillers, will like this book very much. The ending was a bit of a let down so I took away half a star. I loved Ms. Tate's writing style, and will read more of her books.

Thank you NetGalley, HARLEQUIN - MIRA and Courtney Evan Tate for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#IllBeWatchingYou #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa