Her Closest Friend by Clare Boyd


☆☆☆☆
Kindle Edition, 372 pages
Expected publication: March 5th 2019 by Bookouture
About the Book:
Pop music blares from the radio. She sings drunkenly from the backseat. The thrash of windscreen wipers against the driving rain. The screech of tyres. A thud.
Naomi and I are best friends. School runs, dog walks, a shoulder to cry on over a glass of wine, we’re inseparable. But now my husband has walked out, I need her more than ever. I know she will help me pick up the pieces. Because she knows about the lie I told to protect her. She knows how much I’ve sacrificed for this friendship. And she’d never let anyone hurt me. Would she?


Let me start off by saying that I have read both of Ms. Boyd's other books, I loved one and enjoyed the other. This book drew me in from page one. Her Closest Friend has that special way of sucking you into the story. The wit and pacing of both the inner monologues and of conversations were scintillating. Reading about what Sophie really thinks of Naomi was such a guilty pleasure, that whiff of cattiness in the air and bad blood.

This new novel has definitely confirmed I made the right decision when I added Clare Boyd to my list of new favorite authors. Her Closest Friend is a well written and fast-paced read, that will keep you on edge, as the many plot twists slowly reveal themselves. The main characters might not be completely likeable, but the character development is there, you're along for the ride as they both transform. Both Sophie and Naomi are brilliant in their own way and they are probably the reason this story is as good as it is.

Ms. Boyd included so many layers to the story, there was never a dull moment. All the activities these characters were involved in were just so thrilling and suspenseful and tied in well with the plot. All the layers connected together seamlessly at the end. My favorite part of this book was the way the author exposed the motive. Chilling the way the pieces fell into place. Just enough suspense to keep you turning the page. I like the way the author went from the past to the present. This books makes you realize that some things are too good to be true- even friends who supposedly have your best interest in mind. Looking forward to reading more books by this author.

Thank you NetGalley, Bookouture and Clare Boyd for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#HerClosestFriend #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa