The Night Shift by Alex Finlay

The Night Shift
☆☆☆☆
.ePUB, 253 pages
Expected Publication: 01 Mar 2022
By: St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books

About The Book:
It’s New Year’s Eve 1999. Y2K is expected to end in chaos: planes falling from the sky, elevators plunging to earth, world markets collapsing. A digital apocalypse. None of that happens. But at a Blockbuster Video in Linden, New Jersey, four teenage girls working the night shift are attacked. Only one survives. Police quickly identify a suspect who flees and is never seen again. Fifteen years later, in the same town, four teenage employees working late at an ice cream store are attacked, and again only one makes it out alive. Both surviving victims recall the killer speaking only a few final words... “Goodnight, pretty girl.” In the aftermath, three lives intersect: the survivor of the Blockbuster massacre who’s forced to relive her tragedy; the brother of the original suspect, who’s convinced the police have it wrong; and the FBI agent, who’s determined to solve both cases. On a collision course toward the truth, all three lives will forever be changed, and not everyone will make it out alive.

My Review:
Earlier this year I read and really enjoyed Every Last Fear by Alex Finlay and was so happy to find that this too was a hit for me. I used to be a manager at Blockbuster and ne of the killing sprees happens at a Blockbuster so that added to my enjoyment so much. This was a very fast paced read for me, so much so that I read it in a day. I loved the two timelines format SO much and also the different points of view from a few different characters was enlightening and I was able to really get into the characters heads and frame of mind. I felt for the "survivors" they are both very strong women and I loved that they were portrayed that way.

I would have given this five stars but I figured out one of the reveals pretty early on. It didn't stop me enjoying the rest of the book and I was surprised by the ending, I really loved it that not everything was tied up neatly into a little bow and there were some other shocking surprises along the way. I can't wait to read what Alex Finlay comes up with next. He is becoming an automatic "want to read" for me. I highly recommend this one.

Disclosure:
With many thanks to NetGalley, Alex Finlay and St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books for the giving of the ARC.

#TheNightShift #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa