The Last Guests by J.P. Pomare

The Last Guests
☆☆☆☆
.ePUB, 294 pages
Expected Publication:August 31st 2021 by Mulholland Books

About the Book:
Newlyweds Lina and Cain don’t make it out to their property on gorgeous Lake Tarawera as often as they’d like, so when Cain suggests they rent the house out to vacationers, Lina reluctantly agrees. While the home has been in her family for generations, they could use the extra money. And at first, Lina is amazed at how quickly guests line up, and at how much they’re willing to pay. But both Lina and Cain have been keeping secrets, secrets that won’t be put off by fresh paint or a new alarm system. And someone has been watching them—their mundane tasks, their intimate moments. When a visit takes a deadly turn, Lina realizes someone out there knows something they shouldn’t…and that welcoming strangers into your home is playing a dangerous game.

My Review:

That’s a secret, private world you’re looking into out there. People do a lot of things in private they couldn’t possibly explain in public. – REAR WINDOW

I really enjoyed In The Clearing by J.P. Pomare and in my review of that book I said "this is one of the most disturbing stories I’ve ever read" and this is more of the same, and I LOVED it. Mr. Pomare always manages to write stories that are unusual and surprisingly different.

Newlyweds Lina and Cain decide to rent out her vacation property in the style of an Airbnb. But both Lina and Cain have been keeping secrets and as the story unfolds we, the reader, learn all about their nasty little habits. This one takes a bit to get going but once it does it will have your heart palpitating.

I am not going to get into the plot or what happens. Letting you know much more will ruin the book for you. I will say that this book was thrilling, had a lot of action, kept me on the edge of my seat, was very suspenseful and I read it in one sitting...it really surprised me too, just when I thought I had it all figured out...I was wrong.

I loved the descriptions of New Zealand, especially the lakes just outside Auckland. It sounds like an impressively beautiful place to visit.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, J.P. Pomare and Mulholland Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheLastGuests #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa