The Island House by Amanda Brittany

The Island House
☆☆☆1/2
.ePUB, 244 pages
Expected Publication: August 11th 2021 by HQ Digital

About the Book:
When Alice’s father dies after a tragic hit and run, his death stirs up unanswered questions about her childhood. Who was her mother, why did her father never speak of the past, and why can’t she remember anything before the age of seven? But when she receives an anonymous letter containing a photograph of a refurbished gothic guest house surrounded by water, and an invitation to stay, old memories fight to resurface. Alice has visited before. She is certain of it. Convinced the clues to her past lie at the hotel, she checks in. But once on the island, a wild storm rages, waves crash violently into the rocks, and the house is cut off by the roaring sea. Then two guests are found dead. And the hotel owner is missing. Will Alice ever uncover her secret past? And will anyone leave the island alive?

My Review:
This book had a gothic feel with a twisty mystery. I loved how the house was on its own island as it added to the eerie feel of the setting. Combined with dual timelines (1976 to 2019), the creepy writing and the twisty ending made the book an entertaining read. I have to say I am rounding up because I did not figure out the twist and I loved that...Do you have to suspend belief? You betcha, but I still enjoyed reading this story and getting there was half the fun. 

I liked that this was a short read as it made getting to the secret all the more fun and added to the atmospheric feel of isolation. The book all came together deliciously. I’m afraid to say more for fear of spoiling anything, but a nice, smooth beach read. I truly enjoyed it.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Amanda Brittany and HQ Digital for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheIslandHouse #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa