The Opposite of Fate by Alison McGhee


☆☆☆
ebook, 272 pages
Expected publication: February 18th 2020
by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Mariner Books
About the Book:
Twenty-one-year-old Mallie Williams—scrappy, headstrong, and wise beyond her years—has just landed on her feet following a tumultuous youth when the unthinkable happens: she is violently assaulted. The crime leaves her comatose, surrounded by friends and family who are hoping against hopes for a full recovery. But soon Mallie's small community finds themselves divided. The rape has left Mallie pregnant, and while some friends are convinced that she would never keep the pregnancy, others are sure that a baby would be the only good thing to come out of all of this pain. Who gets to decide? How much power, in the end, do we have over our own bodies? Mallie, her family, and her town find themselves at the center of a media storm, confronting questions nobody should have to face. And when Mallie emerges from the fog, what will she think of the choices that were made on her behalf?


I found this book worth reading, because of the subject matter, but I was somewhat disappointed. I found the characters to be just a bare step above cliché and the main problem with the book is that the author is jumping all over the place trying to give everybody a voice.

I found myself easily distracted from the story when usually I get totally lost in a book. I was confused at times about which character I was reading about, it's a great idea for a story; I just didn't like the execution. The subject matter was difficult, but aside from that, the writing style was tedious...I have to be honest about my disappointment in this book.

Thank you NetGalley, Alison McGhee, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Mariner Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheOppositeofFate #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa