The Queen: Her Life by Andrew Morton

👑👑👑👑
.ePUB, 381 pages
Expected Publication: 15 Nov 2022
By: Grand Central Publishing
Goodreads | Amazon

About The Book:
Painfully shy, Elizabeth Windsor’s personality was well suited to her youthful ambition of living quietly in the country, raising a family, and caring for her dogs and horses. But when her uncle, King Edward VIII, abdicated, she became heir to the throne—embarking on a journey that would test her as a woman and queen. Ascending to the throne at only 25, this self-effacing monarch navigated endless setbacks, family conflict, and occasional triumphs throughout her 70 years as the Queen of England. As her mettle was tested, she endeavored to keep the monarchy relevant culturally, socially, and politically, often in the face of resistance from inside the institution itself. And yet the greatest challenges she faced were often inside her own family, forever under intense scrutiny; from rumors about her husband’s infidelity, her sister’s marital breakdown, Princess Diana’s tragic death, to the recent departure of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

My Review:
Her coming of age reminded her that in a lifetime of duty, personal happiness and pleasure came a poor second.

I loved Andrew Morton's book Elizabeth & Margaret, so when I got this from NetGalley I was super excited. I liked how in both books Mr. Morton corrected untruths and exaggerations as told in the Netflix series "The Crown". Of course, I requested and got approved for it long before the Queen passed away but her death just made it all the more interesting to read. As a Canadian, I have always been interested in the royal family as we are part of the Commonwealth. 

I liked how the book showed both the good and bad about being a royal and about the Queen herself. She wasn't Miss Perfect and has her bad side but she also had a wonderful sense of humour, an admirable love of animals, and a fierce obligation to family and the firm. Her love of horse racing is something she and I share as I come from a horseracing-loving family, in fact, my brother is a racing judge here in Ontario, Canada.

Even though I didn't really learn anything new about her majesty I still found her life and relationships with those in the know very interesting and thought the author did an amazing job with his research. My favourite tidbit from this book was when I learned that during WWII then Princess Elizabeth joined the men for an ice hockey game on the frozen lake near York Cottage, Elizabeth scored a goal and then she and Margaret joined in a snowball fight. It was those little moments in the book that made this such a pleasure to read. I would read pretty much anything Andrew Morton writes about the Royals.

R.I.P. Queen Elizabeth II

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the Advance Readers Copy.

#TheQueen #NetGalley

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa