Keep It In The Family by John Marrs

 🪜 🪜 
.ePUB, 326 pages
Expected Publication: 18 October 2022
By: Thomas & Mercer
GoodReads | Amazon

About The Book:
Mia and Finn are busy turning a derelict house into their dream home when Mia unexpectedly falls pregnant. But just when they think the house is ready, Mia discovers a chilling message scored into a skirting board: I WILL SAVE THEM FROM THE ATTIC. Following the clue up into the eaves, the couple make a gruesome discovery: their dream home was once a house of horrors. In the wake of their traumatic discovery, the baby arrives and Mia can’t shake her fixation with the monstrous crimes that happened right above them. Haunted by the terrible things she saw and desperate to find answers, her obsession pulls her ever further from her husband. Secrecy shrouds the mystery of the attic, but when shards of a dark truth start to emerge, Mia realises the danger is terrifyingly present. She is prepared to do anything to protect her family—but is it already too late?

My Review:
I so enjoy John Marrs books. This is my sixth read of his, I have loved every single one of them and the prologue in this one gave me high hopes. About fifty percent through this one I was ready to give it five stars. It was engaging, creepy, and well-paced. Then about halfway in it started to get a bit over the top...now I can do over the top, I call them popcorn thrillers. They are a little out there but the entertainment value is worth looking past all the unbelievable parts. Then I got to the seventy-five percent mark of the book and it got SO unbelievably "out there" and I had to suspend my belief SO much that I stop enjoying it. 

This book didn't even read like the John Marrs I am familiar with and I didn't like the style of the first-person narrative, it simply just didn't work here. I did not like ANY of the characters, not even Mia. I felt the entire cast was a bunch of deplorables and I had no one to root for. I had the big reveal figured out almost right away so there were really no surprises for me either. I loved this author's other works so much so I will keep reading whatever he puts out and will put this one down to a one-off bust.

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa