No Names to Be Given by Julia Brewer Daily

No Names to Be Given
☆☆☆1/2
.ePUB, 300 pages
Expected Publication: August 3rd 2021 by Admission Press

About the Book:
1965. Sandy runs away from home to escape her mother’s abusive boyfriend. Becca falls in love with the wrong man. And Faith suffers a devastating attack. With no support and no other options, these three young, unwed women meet at a maternity home hospital in New Orleans where they are expected to relinquish their babies and return home as if nothing transpired. But such a life-altering event can never be forgotten, and no secret remains buried forever. Twenty-five years later, the women are reunited by a blackmailer, who threatens to expose their secrets and destroy the lives they’ve built. That shattering revelation would shake their very foundations—and reverberate all the way to the White House. Told from the three women’s perspectives in alternating chapters, this mesmerizing story is based on actual experiences of women in the 1960s who found themselves pregnant but unmarried, pressured by family and society to make horrific decisions. How that inconceivable act changed women forever is the story of No Names to Be Given, a heartbreaking but uplifting novel of family and redemption.

My Review:
This book isn’t for everyone, but I enjoyed it. I was born around the time these young women had their babies and I too had a baby very young, though I decided to keep mine. The juxtaposition of the three girls and their families made their stories each very clear and very interesting and I believe I would have liked all these women in real life. They had so much love to give, not only to their family...but to each other and even their babies. I really enjoyed all the characters because they are well developed considering the complicated issues and I could relate. 

The stories are told with sensitivity with none of the extreme sellout shock value. Julia Brewer Daily is talented. The writing is smooth and enjoyable with interesting characters. The book is captivating in the unraveling of complicated relationships. 

I did find the writing a little lacking (kinda like my review) and this book had so much potential but the writing style was a little pedestrian and I wish some of the very coincidental moments weren't in the book, it just didn't seem very plausible to me. I hope this is just the beginning for this new author as I would give her another chance, this was pretty good for debut.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Julia Brewer Daily and Admission Press for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#NoNamestoBeGiven #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa