All the Little Hopes by Leah Weiss

All the Little Hopes
☆☆☆☆
.ePUB, 299 pages
Expected Publication: July 27th 2021 by Sourcebooks Landmark

About the Book:
Deep in the tobacco land of North Carolina, nothing's the same since the boys shipped off to war and worry took their place. Thirteen-year-old Lucy Brown is curious and clever, but she can't make sense of it all. Then Allie Bert Tucker comes to town, an outcast with a complicated past, and Lucy believes that together they can solve crimes. Just like her hero, Nancy Drew. That chance comes when a man goes missing, a woman stops speaking, and an eccentric gives the girls a mystery that takes them beyond the ordinary. Their quiet town, seasoned with honeybees and sweet tea, becomes home to a Nazi prisoner-of-war camp—and more men go missing. The pair set out to answer the big question: do we ever really know who the enemy is?

My Review:
One night, I’m drowning, and the next morning, I’m saved.

I just adored Leah Weiss' first book If the Creek Don't Rise and was so pleased to get an early copy of her second novel. This sophomore novel is another literary stunner. I found this novel sad and hopeful, haunting and thought-provoking. The author's depiction of the beauty and the brutality of North Carolina and the characters desperately trying to live their best lives there pulled me in and wouldn't let me go. 

I quickly became deeply invested in the outcomes for both Lu and Bert, two girls coming of age in the time of war and did not want to put the book down. The complexity of their relationship had me on an emotional rollercoaster, but I was rooting for them both.

Although the novel takes place in 1940s Carolina, the issues of race, social status, and relationships remain relevant, and resonate strongly with me as I reflect on what is happening in our society today. I can't wait to see what Ms. Weiss comes up with next, I do know I will be first in line to read it.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Leah Weiss and Sourcebooks Landmark for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa