Nowhere Girl by Magali Le Huche

☆☆☆

.PDF, 128 pages
Expected Publication: June 23rd 2021 by Europe Comics

About the Book:
This is the story of a girl growing up in the 1990s – a middle-schooler who finds herself lost in the gulf between childhood and adolescence, developing paralyzing fears of failure, school, other people, and her own changing body. Along the way, she becomes obsessed with the Beatles… which might be just what she needs to find her way back to being okay. Yeah yeah yeah!

My Review:
It is the '90s and poor Magali has just started middle school. She is not having an easy time of it then she discovers The Beatles and somehow those fab four, from the '60s, bring her some happiness. 

What I thought was going to be a cute, funny graphic novel turned into a lesson on children having anxiety and panic attacks. I loved Magali and her quirkiness and felt for her when she wasn't well and cheered her on as she tried to get better. I loved how supportive her parents were and how this is sort of an autobiography of the author herself. There is a lesson for all of us between these pages and  I really appreciated that. 

The drawings are cute and some of them are really colourful and I couldn't believe how much they really resembled the fab four. I liked this so much I am going to buy it for my 11 year old great-niece and give it to her in September when she goes back to school.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Magali Le Huche and Europe Comics for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#EuropeComics #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa