The Skeleton Tree by Diane Janes

☆☆
.ePUB, 252 pages
Expected Publication: June 1st 2021 by Canongate Books/Severn House

About the Book:
Is Wendy's dream house about to turn into her worst nightmare? From the moment Wendy Thornton first laid eyes on number 37, The Ashes, she knew she had to have it. It may seem neglected on the outside, but Wendy is convinced it's her perfect family home. It just needs to be loved. It needs her. When Wendy receives an unexpected sum of money from her aunt's will, her dream of buying The Ashes becomes a reality. But as Wendy moves in with her young family and starts uncovering its past, she soon learns that The Ashes is hiding a number of dark secrets. Is Wendy's dream house about to become her worst nightmare? As she is drawn further into The Ashes' dark history, Wendy's own life starts to unravel in the most spectacular and devastating way.

My Review:
I'm still searching for the words for this review, so bare with me. This book is confusing at the best of times. There are too many characters to keep track of. We don't get to know all of them well, so it's really hard to keep track who is who...I felt lost reading some parts. First there is the main family, then the secondary neighbour/distant cousin of the old owners wanting to know about the house as much as the current owner, then there are the previous owners going back 150 years or so. I mean YIKES!

My overall thoughts on this book are, meh. I think that this author's writing just isn't for me. She writes all over the place, probably intentionally to confuse you. The coming together in the end is a bit a of a mess. I just can't live with the writing style. I guess I can see why some may enjoy it. I, unfortunately didn't. If a slow burner featuring a dysfunctional family and a crumbling mansion with secrets is your cup of tea I say go for it, otherwise look for something else.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Diane Janes and Canongate Books/Severn House for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#SkeletonTreeThe #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa