The Happy Family by Jackie Kabler

The Happy Family

.ePUB, 314 pages
Expected Publication: June 4th 2021 by HarperCollins UK/One More Chapter

About the Book:
My family has just been reunited. So who is trying to tear it apart? A mother who disappeared. When Beth was 10 years old, her beautiful, wild mothr Alice walked out and never came back. Beth’s life since hasn’t always been smooth sailing, but now she is happy and settled, with a successful career, a loving family and a beautiful home. An unexpected visitor. Then one day there’s a knock at the door. Alice has returned. Overjoyed to have the chance to rebuild their relationship, Beth invites her mother to move in. A life that comes crashing down. At first, everything seems wonderful. But then Beth’s friends begin to drift away, strange things start to happen at home, and rumours begin to circle about her past. As the mysterious events around Beth become darker and more dangerous, she is forced to question everything. Is somebody in her life trying to destroy her happiness? And how far will they go?

My Review:
UGH, I hate writing bad reviews but I gotta be honest, right? I really enjoyed The Perfect Coupe by this author so I was really excited to get this from NetGalley. Unfortunately I was really disappointed with this one. It was very repetitive, the main character was whiny and weak, and I had figured out the big secret and the twist about 60 pages in. Three big negatives from me. 

Sadly I can’t think of anything positive to say about this read, I won’t get the time back. One dimensional plot, very little development of story or characters and a bizarre style of writing. The build up was tedious and the main character annoying, the writing was stilted and unimaginative. I saw the gaslighting a mile away and so would any other reasonably minded human.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley and HarperCollins UK/One More Chapter for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa