One Two Three by Laurie Frankel

☆☆☆☆☆
.ePUB, 397 pages
Expected Publication: June 8th 2021 by Henry Holt & Company

About the Book:
Everyone knows everyone in the tiny town of Bourne, but the Mitchell triplets are especially beloved. Mirabel is the smartest person anyone knows, and no one doubts it just because she can’t speak. Monday is the town’s purveyor of books now that the library’s closed—tell her the book you think you want, and she’ll pull the one you actually do from the microwave or her sock drawer. Mab’s job is hardest of all: get good grades, get into college, get out of Bourne. For a few weeks seventeen years ago, Bourne was national news when its water turned green. The girls have come of age watching their mother’s endless fight for justice. But just when it seems life might go on the same forever, the first moving truck anyone’s seen in years pulls up and unloads new residents and old secrets. Soon, the Mitchell sisters are taking on a system stacked against them and uncovering mysteries buried longer than they’ve been alive. Because it's hard to let go of the past when the past won't let go of you.

My Review:
This book was wonderful and funny. How can a book about a big corporation polluting the drinking water, leading to multiple illnesses, be funny. Well, here are a couple examples of how our sixteen year old heroines managed just that:

On television, sex makes people happy, but you are still annoyed and annoying.

And I tried to remind myself that if I killed them both I would never be able to use the toilet again when my mother was not home.

I loved Mab (One), Monday (Two) and Mirabel (Three). They are three of the best characters I have read in a long time. I especially loved Monday. This shouldn't have surprised me as Laurie Frankel's  This Is How It Always Is was one of my favourite books of 2018. 

I was captivated with each chapter of the daily goings-on with the Mitchell triplets and I delighted at every turn of the page, with laughter, and yes, with an aching heart for the pain of broken souls. The reward is finding characters who unknowingly piece each other back together.

A fresh look at intergenerational friendship, love, adventure, and yes, death. What I loved most? The characters and the journey they took each other on while saving themselves, their town and each other.


Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Laurie Frankel and Henry Holt & Company for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#OneTwoThree #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa