The Photographer by Mary Dixie Carter

The Photographer
☆☆☆☆
.ePUB, 205 pages
Expected Publication: May 25th 2021 by St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books

About the Book:
As a photographer, Delta Dawn observes the seemingly perfect lives of New York City’s elite: snapping photos of their children’s birthday parties, transforming images of stiff hugs and tearstained faces into visions of pure joy, and creating moments these parents long for. But when Delta is hired for Natalie Straub’s eleventh birthday, she finds herself wishing she wasn’t behind the lens but a part of the scene—in the Straub family’s gorgeous home and elegant life. That’s when Delta puts her plan in place, by babysitting for Natalie; befriending her mother, Amelia; finding chances to listen to her father, Fritz. Soon she’s bathing in the master bathtub, drinking their expensive wine, and eyeing the beautifully finished garden apartment in their townhouse. It seems she can never get close enough, until she discovers that photos aren’t all she can manipulate.

My Review:
When I first read the synopsis of this book, I thought I might have to really suspend disbelief, surprisingly, the plot does not seem unrealistic and is fast paced and suspenseful. This is a fairly short novel, not filled with a lot of redundancies and the story is concise and told from one viewpoint. It kept me turning pages and trying to guess where the story-line might be heading and I really enjoyed that.

I find the author's style to be bingeable and easy to read in one sitting. The characters are intriguing and my curiosity kept kept me reading until I was done. It is a well written and entertaining book with a neatly structured plot that surprised me in the end. This was a really good, extremely readable debut thriller and I can see Mary Dixie Carter becoming a household name. 

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Mary Dixie Carter and St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#ThePhotographer #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman