The Car Share by Zoe Brisby


☆☆☆☆
.ePUB, 285 pages
Expected Publication: March 25th 2021 by Hodder & Stoughton

About the Book:
When Alex pulls up to meet "Max", he expects everything but a ninety-year-old lady who has her heart set on getting to Brussels by carpool. As for 'Max', who is actually called Maxine, she could not be more ill at ease when settling into the seat next to this young man with bloodshot eyes. God help her if he turned out to be a drug addict who hasn't slept in days! When it becomes clear that Maxine is suffering from Alzheimer's and wants to take matters in her own hands while she still can, and that Alex battles severe depression, a wonderful friendship starts to form between the unlikely pair. Before long, their travel plans take an unexpected turn.

My Review:
As you get older, I think the most difficult thing to accept is that there are no more prospects. There are no more big projects, no more goals to attain, no more dreams. The only goal is to delay the inevitable as long as possible and to do it with as much grace as possible.

This book was bonkers in all the best ways...I am totally here for it as it was just the thing I needed, it was light and humorous with a message of hope. As far as the writing, its quick witted and a little corny at times...which I enjoyed. The cover of the book is soooo cute too, I can't get enough of those colourful cartoon covers. 

I so adored Maxine and her attitude towards life and refusing to grow old. She has such spunk and I can only hope I get to be that old and stay that feisty. I loved the music that Max and Alex enjoyed in common and while reading I had the tunes going through my head. I lost my hearing a couple decades ago and the old stuff is all I know, so that was a pleasant surprise for me too.

Overall this is a feel good read with a satisfying ending that ties things up with a neat bow. If you like quirky characters, witty writing and reading about characters that get themselves into silly situations it's worth a read. It's a book you don't need to take too seriously, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Zoe Brisby and Hodder & Stoughton for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheCarShare #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa