To Love and to Loathe (The Regency Vows #2) by Martha Waters

#NetGalley
☆☆☆
.ePUB, 311 pages
Expected Publication: April 6th 2021 by Atria Books

About the Book:
The widowed Diana, Lady Templeton and Jeremy, Marquess of Willingham are infamous among English high society as much for their sharp-tongued bickering as their flirtation. One evening, an argument at a ball turns into a serious wager: Jeremy will marry within the year or Diana will forfeit one hundred pounds. So shortly after, just before a fortnight-long house party at Elderwild, Jeremy’s country estate, Diana is shocked when Jeremy appears at her home with a very different kind of proposition. After his latest mistress unfavorably criticized his skills in the bedroom, Jeremy is looking for reassurance, so he has gone to the only woman he trusts to be totally truthful. He suggests that they embark on a brief affair while at the house party—Jeremy can receive an honest critique of his bedroom skills and widowed Diana can use the gossip to signal to other gentlemen that she is interested in taking a lover. Diana thinks taking him up on his counter-proposal can only help her win her wager. With her in the bedroom and Jeremy’s marriage-minded grandmother, the formidable Dowager Marchioness of Willingham, helping to find suitable matches among the eligible ladies at Elderwild, Diana is confident her victory is assured. But while they’re focused on winning wagers, they stand to lose their own hearts.

My Review:
This is book two in The Regency Vows series. There is no need to read book one to enjoy this, it works well as a standalone and I have not read book one. Lady Violet Grey and Lord James Audley from the first book are included but there is a bit of their backstory given so you feel up to date.

I have mix feelings about this one, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I am a big Jane Austen fan and her books are my favourite reads, especially Sense and Sensibility so I thought a regency read would be for me.. I found this a tad slow and the real romance parts didn't happen until half way through the book . I found Diana to be kind of a shrew and Jeremy was an ass. The writing was okay and there was some witty repartee throughout and I really love the cover. I would advise though that you read and come to your own conclusions it may be that I am just the wrong reader.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Martha Waters, Atria Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa