When Stars Rain Down by Angela Jackson-Brown

When Stars Rain Down
☆☆☆☆☆
.PDF 368 pages
Expected Publication: April 13th 2021 by Thomas Nelson

About the Book:
The summer of 1936 in Parsons, Georgia, is unseasonably hot, and Opal Pruitt can sense a nameless storm coming. She hopes this foreboding feeling won’t overshadow her upcoming eighteenth birthday or the annual Founder’s Day celebration in just a few weeks. As hard as she works in the home of the widow Miss Peggy, Opal enjoys having something to look forward to. But when the Ku Klux Klan descends on Opal’s neighborhood of Colored Town, the tight-knit community is shaken in every way. Parsons’s residents—both Black and white—are forced to acknowledge the unspoken codes of conduct in their post-Reconstruction era town. To complicate matters, Opal finds herself torn between two unexpected romantic interests, awakening many new emotions. She never thought that becoming a woman would bring with it such complicated decisions about what type of person she wants to be.


My Review:
This world we living in is ’bout ready to explode and send us all into little bitty unrecognizable pieces. The best thing we can all do is to move past moments like this. This ain’t the time to get sideways in our thinking.

This book will be one of my favourite reads of 2021. Southern Historical Fiction is my favourite genre and this book was everything I was hoping it would be.

This story was so compelling that every word and every character will stay with me. No story that I have ever read brought me to a black community and sat me down in the midst of their life and the struggles, pain, hate and abuse they suffered. The is one of very few books in my life that put me emotionally in to the story.. I cried, I laughed I got very angry I got very embarrassed... and then I found peace. This isn't a book it's a moving experience.

This book is incredible. The themes of race, friendship, forgiveness, personal growth, empowerment, and love are beautifully intertwined. I can’t even describe how intricate the story is. It is simultaneously a heart wrenching and heart warming story, and I strongly recommend When Stars Rain Down to anyone who loves and appreciates the written word.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Angela Jackson-Brown and Thomas Nelson for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#WhenStarsRainDown #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa