The Imposter by Marin Montgomery

#TheImposter #NetGalley
☆☆☆☆
.PDF, 329 pages
Expected Publication: March 9th 2021 by Thomas & Mercer

About the Book:
From the outside looking in, Sibley Sawyer has a perfect life. As a successful attorney, she’s worked hard to get to the top of her game—but when her personal and professional lives implode, Sibley looks for a way to turn the page. Unable to shake the tragic circumstances that caused her to flee her rural Midwestern hometown, Sibley wants nothing more than to reunite with her estranged mother, Deborah, and bury their past tensions. But as she reenters the life she left behind, she realizes her mother isn’t the same person she remembers, and she’s not the same daughter either. As both women struggle to piece together a tangled web of deceit and lies, and the shocking circumstances that caused Sibley to leave in the first place, it becomes clear there are secrets rooted deeper than either mother or daughter could ever have imagined. Can you really deceive your past and those around you?


My Review:
I remember reading Marin Montgomery's "What We Forgot to Bury" and I didn't like it much, but it wasn't because of the writing it was the story that didn't grab me. I also remember thinking I would give her another go if the opportunity came up. Well am I ever glad I did!

I wouldn't really call this book a thriller although there is a bit of mystery to it. It's more of a family psychological drama yet I really loved the writing and the tension the author managed to create. I always enjoy books with different points of view and this also includes a bit of before via memories of our two main characters. It was really interesting reading the backstories of each woman.

This book starts off as a slow burn and I originally thought I wasn't going to enjoy it but then I realized I was suddenly halfway thorough the book, it was like the pages turned themselves. I was also taken aback by the big reveal and that impressed me as much as the lovely writing. If you like a good literary whodunit I recommend that this book is for you.

Disclosure:
Thank you NetGalley, Marin Montgomery and Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheImposter #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa