The House of Secrets by Sophie Draper


☆☆
ebook, 299 pages
Expected publication: September 1st 2020 by HarperCollins Publishers and Avon
About the Book:
She’s married to him. But does she know him at all? Claire lives with her family in a beautiful house overlooking the water. But she feels as if she’s married to a stranger – one who is leading a double life. As soon as she can get their son Joe away from him, she’s determined to leave Duncan. But finding out the truth about Duncan’s secret life leads to consequences Claire never planned for. Now Joe is missing, and she’s struggling to piece together the events of the night that tore them all apart. Alone in an isolated cottage, hiding from Duncan, Claire tries to unravel the lies they’ve told each other, and themselves. Something happened to her family … But can she face the truth?


Note to self: I am NOT a Sophie Draper fan...she is 0 for three with me.

The chilling, atmospheric mystery with a twist I really wish publishers would stop doing this, especially when it isn't even a tiny bit true....as in this case.

This book started out well enough and though the characters get developed slightly more as the narrative progresses, the plot goes from intriguing to boring and then...no big reveal. As I slogged through the pages I found I absolutely hated both Duncan and Claire.

The back and forth had my head spinning and the non linear way the story is told made me detest this story. I usually like books like that but there was no cohesiveness here.

There wasn't much of anything I liked about the book, the plot, the characters, the ending, the writing. The animal cruelty bits really put me off too but did not impact my review or rating.



Thank you NetGalley, Sophie Draper, HarperCollins Publishers and Avon for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheHouseofSecrets #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman