The First to Lie by Hank Phillippi Ryan


☆☆☆☆1/2
ebook, 363 pages
Expected publication: August 4th 2020 by Macmillan-Tor/Forge and Forge Books
About the Book:
We all have our reasons for being who we are—but what if being someone else could get you what you want? After a devastating betrayal, a young woman sets off on an obsessive path to justice, no matter what dark family secrets are revealed. What she doesn’t know—she isn’t the only one plotting her revenge. An affluent daughter of privilege. A glamorous manipulative wannabe. A determined reporter, in too deep. A grieving widow who must choose her new reality. Who will be the first to lie? And when the stakes are life and death, do a few lies really matter?


I know who I was when I got up this morning but I think I must have been changed several times since then. I can’t explain myself, I’m afraid, because I’m not myself, you see.

This is a look into the world of drug manufacturing. We learn in this book how a persons life is valued or devalued in this case. Everything is based on money and sales. This story tells how money is seen as more important than a persons life in big business, such a sad book as this seems like true to life. The writing and the dialogue were clear and sounded realistic. The ethical dilemmas of all parties were presented fairly--part of what made me think as a reader. Sometimes everything in a thriller is painted so obviously right or wrong that you lose sight of the fact that the law is meant to protect everyone.

What I most liked about this book is that it was written by a woman and the main characters are strong women. Usually books like this are about men and written by men. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but this was a nice change. I love investigative, legal dramas and this book is excellent in that department. It started a bit slow for me, but it got really interesting as I read further. I have read other reviews where the reader has said that the different names and timelines caused them to be confused, I didn't have that problem and enjoyed this read immensely.

Thank you NetGalley, Hank Phillippi Ryan, Macmillan-Tor/Forge and Forge Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheFirsttoLie #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman