I Lie in Wait by Amanda Brittany


☆☆☆1/2
ebook, 252 pages
Expected publication: August 28th 2020 by HQ Digital
About the Book:
It's one year since her sister vanished. Now, another girl is missing. One year ago, Amelia Taylor’s sister, Lark, vanished without a trace from a family holiday in the Scottish Highlands. The police are convinced that Lark was abducted, but with no new leads, the case has gone cold. Amelia is certain that the answer lies at the holiday cottage and retracing their steps might unearth a vital clue that could help make a breakthrough. But during their second night at the cottage a shrill scream cuts through the darkness, just as it did a year ago, and a sense of dread engulfs everyone. Another girl has vanished. Leading the search, Amelia is convinced that both girls are alive, waiting to be found. But someone is determined to keep her from the truth at all costs. Will Amelia be able to find her sister, or is she too about to find herself in danger?


This novel is a slow burn. You first learn of all the characters as they arrive at the rental cottages of Ruth and her son, Finn. The characters are not clearly drawn at this point, or any other, but with a limited pool of suspects this is not particularly surprising.

As the body count rises, the tension mounts, keeping the reader engrossed right to the end. What's more, I am delighted to say I didn't work out who was responsible - though I have to admit I found one element of the conclusion most improbable.

Unfortunately there is also one other niggle. I would have expected a remote hotel to be more prepared for bad weather and power cuts: plenty of oil for the lamps, supplies of non perishable food, a generator etc. But that's just me being picky as it did help ramp up the tension.

In spite of those faults I Lie in Wait gradually becomes a page turner and the ending was such a surprise I am still shaking my head. I would definitely read more by this author.

Thank you NetGalley, Amanda Brittany and HQ Digital for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#ILieinWait #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa