The Patient by Steena Holmes


☆☆☆☆
ebook, 499 pages
Published October 15th 2019 by Lake Union Publishing
About the Book:
A therapist must face her own worst fear—one of her patients is a serial killer. Dani Rycroft suspects someone close to her has a dark secret. In the confidential setting of therapy, her patients share their anxieties and fears. Now, with a string of murders in town putting her on edge, Dani’s own worries come close to eclipsing her patients’. In each case, the pattern is the same: parents killed while their children sleep blissfully unaware in their beds. Her best friend, Detective Tami Sloan, is the only person she has confided in. Dani believes that there’s still a secret one patient has yet to share. But which one? Behind a familiar face is a stranger who’ll do anything to hide their worst compulsions. The anxiety brings Dani to her own therapist’s office, seeking counsel and comfort. But what is she willing to risk, and how much closer must she get, to stop them?


This is how I’ll always remember her. Sweet. Innocent. And now, for the first time in her life, protected. That’s who I am. The protector. The avenger. I avenge the children. Protect them when their own parents fail. Her parents don’t deserve her. They deserve to die.

I was SO excited to get my hands on The Patient because I just love Ms. Holmes style of writing and ability to suck the reader in, almost forcing you to binge read her novels until you find out what exactly is really going on and I can firmly say that she most definitely delivered in a major way with this one.

I believe this is the first thriller I have read by this author and she is a sneaky little devil, while I was reading this I kept thinking, okay I see exactly where this is going, to an avid reader such as myself things seemed obvious, but I was so engrossed I didn’t even care that I figured out what would happen next. Imagine my surprise when I was wrong...Not once, not even twice, but too many times to count. Shame on me for being so cocky and bravo to the author for shocking me so much. Well played Ms. Holmes, well played.

I said before I loved her writing style, it’s razor sharp and highly unnerving at the same time and she writes cleverly short chapters that just entice you to go further and further to see what will happen next. I’m not touching the plot with a ten foot pole, but did you read that description? A therapist must face her own worst fear—one of her patients is a serial killer.?! Umm YES PLEASE!! If you love psychological thrillers as much as I do then definitely check this one out, it surprised me in the best possible way and had such a strong ending I’m still thinking about it days later.

The Patient in three words: Unsettling, Obsessive and Compulsive.

Thank you NetGalley, Steena Holmes and Lake Union Publishing for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#ThePatient #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa