Shortcake by Lucy Watson


☆☆☆☆
Kindle Edition, 413 pages
Published September 19th 2019 by Lucy Watson Books
About the Book:
Things Emelia Anderson would rather do than share a house with Benjamin Crawford:
1) Get strapped to a chair in a restaurant full of loud-chewers.
2) Parachute into the Australian Outback armed with only a blowdart.
3) Live her best life as an ice road trucker in the Alaskan Tundra.
Benjamin Crawford thinks Emelia conned his dying grandmother into leaving her half of an estate worth millions, so let's just say he's not her biggest fan either. Not even close. Now they have to live together for the next thirty days while renovating the family home. Or the estate will transfer to the one person Ben hates more than Emelia, and she'll have to move back to the one place she wants to forget more than Ben. Did I mention Ben look likes man-candy and smells like testosterone? Not that Emelia notices. She spends a lot of time not noticing things about Ben.


I have been trying to expand my horizons this year and this book is definitely not my usual...yet it had me in stitches. I was laughing out loud, for real, even on the bus, in public. Although there are some serious subjects in this book, death of a loved one, PTSD, panic attacks, addiction and divorce, I found this to be the perfect example of a (sexy) romantic comedy done right.

I loved the blend of seriousness, romance and humour. The characters felt like real people with real problems, they had their good points and their bad....they were perfectly imperfect. They spoke like real people, and I loved how the dialog flowed between Lucy and Ben. Lucy had some VERY funny internal dialog as well. Some of the book was a little out there, but I was still engaged, invested and happy to read on.

Shortcake is like nothing I've read before and Lucy Watson has some amazing insight into humans. I am both envious and amazed by her writing and I can't say enough about these beautiful souls and their amazingly sexy and hilarious story.

Thank you NetGalley, Lucy Watson and Lucy Watson Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa