All About Evie by Cathy Lamb


☆☆
Kindle Edition, 480 pages
Published October 29th 2019 by Kensington Books
About the Book:
As a child, Evie Lindsay was unnerved by her premonitions. As an adult, they have become a simple fact of life—sometimes disruptive but also inescapable, much like her quirky, loveable family. Evie’s mother, Poppy, and her aunts, Camellia and Iris, are well known on San Orcanita island for their free-spirited ways and elaborately decorated hats. Their floral shop and Evie’s bookstore draw streams of visitors all summer long. This season promises to be extra busy: Evie’s sister, Jules, is getting married on the island. As Jules plans her unconventional wedding, she arranges to do a DNA test with her mother, sister, and aunts, to see how much accepted lore about their heritage holds true. The results blow apart everything Evie has grown up believing about herself and her family. Spurred on by the revelations, Evie uncovers the real story of her past. But beyond her feelings of shock and betrayal, there are unexpected opportunities—to come to terms with a gift that has sometimes felt like a curse, to understand the secrets that surrounded her childhood, and to embrace the surprising new life that is waiting for her.


I had a hard time reading this book. I found the writing to be choppy and disjointed, it just didn't flow well for me. The chapters and the book itself were way too long and it was very repetitive. Not much happened in the first 100 pages or so and the only parts I even remotely enjoyed were in the 1970's timeline and there weren't nearly enough of them.

I love books that have you caring for the people and involved to the end of the story. This is not one of those. It almost seems like the story is just thrown together to confuse and amuse the reader. When the characters are introduced they were quirky and cute and I figured I could get through the boring chapters. I found the main character, Evie, to be immature and childlike and she just grating on me.

While I don't want to get into specific details that could be spoilers for others, I will say that I had a harder time connecting with these characters, and I felt that too much of the story was geared towards trying to make all readers turn into physic believers, I felt completely lost and unhappy with the final explanations. I will definitely give this author another go, but I'll be more cautious and read more reviews before picking the next book.

Thank you NetGalley, Cathy Lamb and Kensington Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#AllAboutEvie #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman