Abduction by Gillian Jackson



Kindle Edition, 251 pages
Published August 30th 2019 by Sapere Books
About the Book:
What do you do when the unthinkable happens? 8 August, 2000...A carefree birthday party goes horribly wrong. The children scatter to play hide and seek. But one little girl never returns. Three-year-old Grace has vanished without a trace. Fourteen years later...With the case long-since gone cold, Grace’s family have done their best to move on. But her sister, Elise, has never given up hope. And now Elise thinks she may have found her… Is Elise going crazy? Could Grace really have returned? And if she has, where was she taken?


The positives first. This was a VERY short book and I finished it in one sitting.

I thought this was supposed to be a page turning thriller. It’s not thrilling reading plots that you have to suspend your beliefs for. Bottom line Grace is gone and it seemed almost immediately everyone had given up....the fourteen years between here and now was jumped through rather quickly. I guess I need to take a break from the “psychological thriller with a shocking twist" — I’m so sick of that ridiculous, trite term, they’re all starting to sound exactly the same. If I never read another missing kid plot, that would be okay with me.

I also found the dialogue to be very stilted and choppy. Nothing flows in a natural way, nothing feels authentic, it’s very flat and one-dimensional. I think a lot of authors come up with the plot first, then try to mold the characters around it. Even with the flurry of activity with all these characters it was still dull at times. With all the activity I expected a buzz of excitement, I had envisioned an entirely different type of circumstances.

I think my definition of a psychological thriller is completely different than Gillian Jackson’s. Her writing style and execution doesn’t appeal to me. I found myself figuring it out within the first few chapters and nothing is a bigger bummer than that.

Thank you NetGalley, Gillian Jackson and Sapere Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#Abduction #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa