When These Mountains Burn by David Joy

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
.ePUB, 244 pages
Publication Date: 18 Aug 2020
By: G.P. Putnam's Sons
Goodreads | Amazon

About The Book:
When his addict son gets in deep with his dealer, it takes everything Raymond Mathis has to bail him out of trouble one last time. Frustrated by the slow pace and limitations of the law, Raymond decides to take matters into his own hands. After a workplace accident left him out of a job and in pain, Denny Rattler has spent years chasing his next high. He supports his habit through careful theft, following strict rules that keep him under the radar and out of jail. But when faced with opportunities too easy to resist, Denny makes two choices that change everything. For months, the DEA has been chasing the drug supply in the mountains to no avail, when a lead--just one word--sets one agent on a path to crack the case wide open . . . but he'll need help from the most unexpected quarter. As chance brings together these men from different sides of a relentless epidemic, each may come to find that his opportunity for redemption lies with the others.

My Review:
Oh wow, this book hits hard and tackles addiction in a real way. This is my first book by this author and I don't know what the heck took me so long, I am kicking myself for not picking this up sooner. Even though this is a very character driven novel what an excellent storyteller Mr. Joy is. Grit lit is a new favourite genre for me and this story shows the far reaches of drug abuse, not just for the user but for their families and the community at large. It also shows that drug abuse can strike anywhere, anytime no matter your background or skin colour.

I loved the writing, the depth of the characters, and the way Joy built the scenes in my mind's eye. His ability to tackle philosophical dilemmas and complex interpersonal conflicts is amazing. I read this beautifully written and engaging book in a single sitting. I highly recommend it to readers who enjoy character driven plots and readers who are simply looking for a well worded, great story. Mr. Joy has a new fan!

This title is now available for purchase.

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa