Becoming Ted by Matt Cain

🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦
.PDF, 464 pages
Expected Publication: 19 Jan 2023
By: Headline
Goodreads | Amazon

About The Book:
Ted Ainsworth has always worked at his family's ice-cream business in the quiet Lancashire town of St Luke's-on-Sea. But the truth is, he's never wanted to work for the family firm - he doesn't even like ice-cream, though he's never told his parents that. When Ted's husband suddenly leaves him, the bottom falls out of his world. But what if this could be an opportunity to put what he wants first? This could be the chance to finally follow his secret dream: something Ted has never told anyone.


My Review:

It isn’t whether you have baggage that’s important, it’s how you carry it that counts.

Last spring I read and adored The Secret Life of Albert Entwistle by Matt Cain and was super excited to get this from NetGalley. I am so pleased to report that Matt Cain has done it yet again with his newest book. I honestly don't know where to start with this book as I just loved it so much. 

Ted and his husband Giles separate and it starts a shift in Ted, he realizes he has to find out who he REALLY is, without a husband. In my opinion, Giles was abusive, a bit self-possessed, and a lot narcissistic. I think his leaving Ted actually empowered Ted to be true to himself. With the exception of Giles, I loved all the characters in this one. We have three points of view, the story is mainly told from Ted's POV but we also get some from his best friend, Denise, who is going through her own issues. The other point of view is from Oskar, someone Ted meets at the family ice cream shop, which he doesn't want to be part of any longer. (P.S. He hates ice cream! 😲). There is plenty of internal dialogue and angst between the pages and it helps us get into the mind of each character. 

The storyline is addictive and captivating. I just wanted to keep reading to see how Ted would fare in his new role and his new life. It was such a joy being on Ted's journey to find his true self and to read about all the amazing people he met along the way. This book is also very funny...I was killing myself laughing at WITH Gail. It is also very joyful and romantic. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the acknowledgments, they are very sweet and gave me goosebumps so please do take the time to read them. This book was a pure pleasure to read. All. The. Stars.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the Advance Readers Copy.

#BecomingTed #NetGalley

My Reviews Can Also Be Found On:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa