The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes by Ruth Hogan


☆☆☆☆
ebook, 400 pages
Published June 4th 2019 by Crooked Lane Books
About the Book:
Once a spirited, independent woman with a rebellious streak, Masha's life was forever changed by a tragic event twelve years ago. Unable to let go of her grief, she finds comfort in her faithful canine companion Haizum, and peace in the quiet lanes of her town's swimming pool. Almost without her realizing it, her life has shuddered to a halt. It’s only when Masha begins an unlikely friendship with the mysterious Sally Red Shoes, a bag lady with a prodigious voice and a penchant for saying just what she means, that a new world of possibilities opens up: new friendships, new opportunities, and even a chance for new love. For the first time in years, Masha has the chance to start living again. But just as Masha dares to imagine the future, her past comes roaring back.


Refinement lies in the heart and the spirit rather than in outward appearance, but it is by what we do and say that we prove that it exists within us.
I will admit the title and cover (every edition has an amazing one!) are what got me to want to read this book. But, I loved the fact that this was about older people doing what younger people do. This was so refreshing as it allows those of us who are aging know that we are not left out of the fun times, the sad times or the just comfortable times. It is a story that anyone can relate to. This book is about life and the characters are ageless.

We shall find peace. We shall hear the angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds.
I expected The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes to follow this lady around as she got into mischief. It did that, but it also gave a very real insight to what it's like to be older and was sprinkled with sound advice and pearls of wisdom. The book was pure gold because there were moments of laughter, tears, fears, hope and joy...real life. I really loved the "word of the day" and I actually learned something new.

He is a long-legged, hairy affair of a dog with the eyes of an angel and the breath of a goblin.
I loved that the dogs and birds added another facet to the book and I enjoyed this read immensely. The characters are very likeable and well defined. There were times I laughed out loud but was also very touched and saddened at other times. There were surprises and some things I wish were resolved differently but I won't go into them because of the spoiler factor.

One thing is for certain, I couldn't help but love Masha and Sally and I finished the book with such a happy, warm feeling. The writing is superb and I was surprised to find myself in many of the characters and situations. I would definitely recommend this book.

Thank you NetGalley, Ruth Hogan and Crooked Lane Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an impartial review; all opinions are my own.

#TheWisdomOfSallyRedShoes #NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Must Love Books by Shauna Robinson

The Disappearing Act by Catherine Steadman

The Daughter's Tale by Armando Lucas Correa